Passing on some important information about cable sold by Master’s and Mitre 10. In Kalgoorlie, we only have a mitre 10 but still quite scary.
If you have concerns about an installation, call the company who you had install it and get a confirmation. Better to be safe than sorry.
ABOUT 40,000 households and businesses are at risk of “electric shock or possibly fires” because of cheap electrical cabling used to wire ovens and lights.
Infinity and Olsent branded cable was sold to electricians through Masters, Mitre 10 and other hardware chains everywhere but the Northern Territory.
Electrical cable is supposed to last up to 40 years, but the Infinity product could fail after just five years due to being poorly insulated.
It has already been recalled in NSW and Queensland, but News Corporation understands very little cable was returned.
In announcing a national recall today, Australian Competition and Consumer Commission chairman Rod Sims said: “Testing has found that the cables will degrade prematurely and if the cables are disturbed, the insulation could break and expose live conductors, resulting in possible electric shock or fires.”
The ACCC said householders and businesses that have had electrical wiring work carried out recently “need to contact the responsible builder, electrical contractor or appliance installer to confirm whether Infinity cable was used”.
“If Infinity cable was supplied, the cable supplier will arrange for an inspection of your wiring and remediation of any installed Infinity cable that they supplied, free of charge to the consumer. “Any affected cable installed in accessible areas or near heat sources must be removed and replaced under the safety recall.”
Homeowners should not check wiring themselves.